Oh mama if pregnancy has done one thing apart from the obvious baby growing, it’s also given me a heck of a big sweet tooth. Pairing the cravings with the fact that I’m cheffing in a super sweet cupcake and brunch spot, it’s really no question as to why I have been eating a lot more naughty treats lately. I am forever asking for dark choc, a cupcake or a bowl of wheetos and I am also totally guilty of blaming it on baby who I pretend wants it more than I do, you can’t blame a girl for milking these 9 months can you? Want choc, that’s fine it’s a craving! Moody as F, it’s the hormones! Late for something, had to stop off on route to pee 10 times!
However, it gets to the point where as a mama-to-be I know I should be eating everything that will nourish my growing body and baby. My way around the sweet cravings? This gorgeous and divine Banana Bread! It was my go-to treat when I went from over-weight student to strong and toned two years back.
I’ve made a few banana breads in my clean blogging time, they are such an easy and effortless sweet to bake.
This one encompasses smooth sweet cashew flavours (OR vanilla) with a rich dark chocolate note throughout; a truly well balanced dessert with great thanks to it’s marbled nature. I know, I know, I had you at chocolate anyway didn’t I?
Using only clean fats, unrefined sugars and the option of going completely wheat free this cake is a must bake treat for anyone looking to cheat clean, or keep an eye on those cals/macros.
Tried and tested by my other half, friends, family and even the local Tesco security guard, this recipe is my new favourite, a timeless dessert or sweet snack that will delight you or your loved ones; leaving behind the sugar rushes, guilt and junk food stodge.
Lets do this…
I N G R E D I E N T S:
- 140g Flour (I used 70g Coconut + 70g Plain Wholemeal but use all plain if you like)
- 4 Eggs
- 4 Ripe Bananas
- 1TBSP Almond, Soy or Cows Milk
- 80g Agave Syrup or Canadian Maple
- 2 TBSP Cacao or Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 Bar Dark Choc
- 1 TBSP Coconut Oil
- 1 TBSP Cashew or your favourite Nut Butter
- 1 TSP Vanilla Flavour
- 1 TSP Baking Powder
- ¼ Baking Soda
For the Homemade Nutella (Optional, slather it in proper Nutella if that takes your fancy)
- 1 Bar Dark Chocolate
- 1 Pot Fage Greek Yogurt
- 1 Teaspoon Agave
I love the bitterness of dark chocolate, however, it isn’t too everyone’s taste. Simply add any of the following to make it a sweeter scoop:
- 2 TBSP Icing Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Agave, Maple or Honey
- Hazelnut Butter (also more Nutella-esk)
M E T H O D :
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Chop the bananas into small circles and pop into a blender with the Agave, coconut oil and 1 Tablespoon of milk and blend until smoo
- Pour the banana into a mixing bowl and stir in your flour, baking powder and 4 eggs.
- Now separate ½ of the mix into another bowl, and add the cinnamon, cashew butter and vanilla into one and mix well.
- In the second bowl add in the Cacao Powder, dark chocolate bar chopped into small chunks and stir until well combined.
- Spoon heaped tablespoons of both batters into the bread tin; I simply spooned one chocolate for every cashew and repeated again until all of the batter was in the tin.
- Drag a knife or wooden skewer through the batter and create swirls in the mix.
- Top with chopped bananas and sprinkle a tiny dab of cinnamon onto the bananas too.
- Bake on the middle shelf for 30-40 minutes or until a skewer is clean when removed.
- Leave to cool
Meanwhile make the deliciously indulgent yet reasonably healthy homemade Nutella:
- Break up your bar of dark chocolate and melt in the microwave for 30-40 seconds
- Stir in the Greek yogurt and any additional extras from the above.
- Either drizzle on top of the whole cake immediately or leave it to set in a jar and spread on each slice before eating.
There you have it, a gorgeous and impressive Chocolate and Cashew Marble Banana Bread with a homemade Nutella Ganache that has over 17g of protein!